When the holidays are over, make sure you treecycle! The act of recycling a live Christmas tree is a leading reason many experts agree they are more environmentally friendly than their plastic counterparts.
Treecycling is the act of recycling your cut Christmas tree, so that it can be used in other capacities. The trees can get a second life after they are chipped (used for mulch and hiking trails), become fish or wildlife habitat, or are utilized for lake and river shoreline stabilization.
Locally, many communities and the Clermont County Park District are offering opportunities for you to treecycle. But before you take your tree to a collection site or haul it to the curb for pick-up, please be sure to remove all lights, tinsel, and decorations.
Among Clermont County recycling opportunities:
- Village of Batavia Residents: Place your tree cleared of all decorations curbside and the village will pick it up throughout January.
- Batavia Township: Curbside Christmas tree pick-up is available during regular weekly waste pickup via Republic Services.
- Loveland: City residents can place trees at the curb for pick-up from January 4th through January 15th.
- Miami Township: Residents can bring Christmas trees cleared of all decorations to either Paxton Ramsey Park or Miami Meadows for chipping. Trees can be dropped off seven days a week during daylight hours from December 26 through January 31. Call (513) 248-3728 with questions.
- Pierce Township: Pierce Township residents can bring trees to the Pierce Township Administration Office at 950 Locust Corner Road December 26 through January 8. There will be dumpsters at the drop-off area located near the baseball fields.
- Pattison Park, Clermont County Park District: County residents can drop off trees lakeside at Pattison Park, December 26 through January 12. The drop-off area will be clearly marked and all trees must be cleared of all decorations.
- Union Township: Union Township residents can drop off trees behind the Police Department, 4312 Glen Este-Withamsville Road. The drop-off days are January 1 through January 31. The drop-off area will be clearly marked. Trees must be cleared of all decorations. For questions, please contact the Service Department at (513) 753-2221.
Looking to recycle string lights? click here